Monday, November 4, 2013

Journal 5: Twitter

Twitter

            I am not a big social media person so Twitter to me seems like another Facebook account with extra features. When people tweet their ideas and thoughts others can view and comment. I like the idea that you can follow others and their interest. For example, like friends, family, sports teams, celebrities or restaurants. This is an easy way to keep up with others lives or share photos without having to make a phone call or text message. After looking over the PowerPoint of how to incorporate Twitter into your classroom it was quite interesting. One example was to have students tweet their location and use google atlas to determine their location from school. Then retweet their answer. This seems like a great way to incorporate realia into the classroom. Another idea I liked was the scavenger hunt. Given a topic students will research and the share articles or pictures through tweets. This seems like a great way to do a group project outside a classroom setting.

            I can see how Twitter can be beneficial to the upper grade students. As a primary teacher I don’t think I would use Twitter in my classroom. There was an example of using Twitter to keeps parents informed. I have a website for the class that I update every week with activities, lessons and school events. I feel that a weekly update is enough and daily tweets would be too much. Twitter is great way to follow up others and media but I am not a big fan.  

No comments:

Post a Comment