Saturday, October 19, 2013

Journal #3: Commercial Concerns in the Social Web


Friesen, N. (2010, December 6). Retrieved from http://firstmonday.org/ojs/index.php/fm/article/view/3149/2718

As we looked at the data from our last class we see that technology is used daily by all age groups and the social media networks are growing year after year. Most of us would say that we join these social networks to “keep in touch” with friends and family and or to voice our opinions on what we are passionate about. Regardless of the reasons to join a social media group the creators behind the website have another agenda. When you join a social media network there is a questionnaire that asks about age, gender, location of living, interest and so on. All these questionnaires are methods that advertising agency use to convey specific ads to the user on the site. Advertisers purposely place specific ads of your interest to draw users into buying or using specific products. These social media sites are a money making site for companies. Through the questionnaires and likes on your page they have the ability to target specific groups and know that you have a better chance of selling a product. Businesses would not create network sites without being able to make money.  For example, Youtube now has short ads before beginning the video you picked. They are not just any random ads but to your interest and it might be related to the video you picked.

Technology is a great way to stay connected to our interest inside and outside of school but there are greater benefits to those who are behind the scene of these networks.

Can social networks exist without ads? No, I don’t believe that social networks can exist without ads because it needs the ads to make profit. In our society it is a profit making business and all the data that is generated from our questionnaire gives easy access to companies to sell products and services to make money.

When using these social networks at schools are students distracted by the ads or there is no effect? I think it depends on the person but to some degree everyone is affected by these ads. When we see food commercials on television we want may crave that product. These types of advertising works and does distract users. Although firewall protections on computers at schools are very high because of the unwanted ads that are inappropriate, it is very hard to avoid the ads altogether. 

8 comments:

  1. Hi Ann, do you think that websites which is related to education goals like edmodo or kidsblog still have ads on it, I am not sure but I am asking if you know ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I teach first grade I don't have my students write blogs so I don't know if there are ads on them. I have not been on edmodo either so I don't know if there are ads. Sorry not very helpful.

      Delete
  2. Ann, I think you are right about the social networks needing to bring revenue from advertisements. Isn't there software available that can help modify social media (for schools) to keep ads out thus minimizing distractions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure there is a software available that helps modify social media but I don't know of one in particular. My students are very young so I don't use blogs in my assignments. That would be great if we can keep the ads to a minimum.

      Delete
  3. Whether or not advertisements on social networks causes students to be distracted or take away from the lesson being taught is an excellent question and should be investigated more! I agree that ads are one of the primary revenue streams for websites, and educational tools will probably not be able to escape it if offered for free. I also know that website advertisers are constantly seeking places they can specifically target ads to certain groups of people (age, common interest, etc), and an education site full of that young age group could be a potential gold mine for advertisers and a huge nuisance to educators trying to use the tool. If for example, ads for online games were constantly popping up, I am pretty certain enough students would be distracted by it to become an issue in the long run. Interesting to think about, thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ann,

    I liked your article, but respectfully disagree about the notion that social networks "have to" make a profit. In fairness, SN's that offer stocks to the public are obligated to endeavor to be profitable, but someone of a more charitable or philanthropic nature can create and host a SN without the intention of selling stocks to the public; the owner(s) might still 'want' to make a profit, but, he or she will not be obligated to--or, s/he might not even care about making money on this respective startup or project. S/he can do it in the name of charity, recreation, idealism or anything of his or her choosing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you that the advertisers need to make money but giving students cautionary advice is not enough. I believe consumer groups need to be active to help protect our students from advertisers collecting personal information. There needs to be a balance. Some controls are necessary but not enough to scare away advertisers...I believe Google has gone further than is necessary to obtain personal information.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My brother recently shared with me that he uses something called AdBlock, in which you can download onto your computer or device and it blocks virtually all ads that normally pop up, are on the side column of your page, or that start before a Youtube video. I have found this very helpful to me ever since I started using it and I believe that all school devices should be required to install this software before students begin using them. The only ads that I have seen thus far are the ones embedded within my Facebook newsfeed, but being that Facebook is normally blocked from student access on school devices, AdBlock should serve as a very useful school tool.

    ReplyDelete