Monday, November 25, 2013

Journal #7 Professional Learning Network Reflection

Journal 7

My experience with the various professional learning networks was positive. Digg readers kept me updated with Common Core and first grade projects. I found a project that I can use in my classroom. The project was to have students read a book and create their favorite book characters out of a pumpkin. This project included pictures and samples. I also read a recent article on Common Core on how to make the ELA shift to technology. The article provided different ways to use technology in their ELA curriculum such as creating a digital story based on a script using various Apps instead of writing an essay. I think that students would be much more interested in this assignment and be more creative.
The affinity group that I joined was elementaryteachers.ning.com. Educators posted games and ideas of how to teach elementary kids to use the keyboard and mouse. Through this I found fun websites that provided games on learning the keyboard. I also found pictures to be helpful. It gave me new ideas so that I can use it in my classroom. I also liked how I didn’t have to do much research because this affinity group focused on how to incorporate technology into the classroom. It saved me a lot of time from researching and it helped to have a source to go to directly and to find tools others have used and worked.
The blog was a way to interact with other students. I found that it was easy to use and it was a great way to share ideas. For example, when everyone shared their website design. I think that using blogs in secondary grades and above can be beneficial to share projects and ideas.. For Twitter I was able to look up new project ideas on pinterest. For example, I found a Christmas craft project. The craft was to use clear ornaments and decorate it with pom pom balls, pipe cleaners and sharpies to create a snowman. It looks great and very simple to make with my first graders. I still feel that Twitter is more for personal use than professional use.

All of the professional learning networks helped in different ways. I was able to keep up with new updates about Common Core and find new projects and ideas to incorporate into my classroom. It is a great way for educators to be informed, share and find new ideas and become better educators without having to do lots of research.

No comments:

Post a Comment